DEFINITION: Title 22 of the US Code, Section 2656f, which requires the Department of State to provide an annual report to Congress on terrorism, requires the report to include, inter alia, information on terrorist groups and umbrella groups under which any terrorist group falls, known to be responsible for the kidnapping or death of any US citizen during the preceding five years; groups known to be financed by state sponsors of terrorism about which Congress was notified during the past year in accordance with Section 6(j) of the Export Administration Act; and any other known international terrorist group that the Secretary of State determined should be the subject of the report. The list of designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) below is followed by a list of other selected terrorist groups also deemed of relevance in the global war on terrorism. Does not include US domestic groups.
|South Asia average (profile)||7.2||2005|
|South and Central Asia average (profile)||4||2005|
|Group of 7 countries (G7) average (profile)||2.5||2005|
|=30||Democratic Republic of the Congo||1||2005|
Interesting observations about Terrorism > Number of Known Terrorist Organizations Present
- United States ranked third last for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst Group of 7 countries (G7) in 2005.
- Afghanistan ranked first for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst Muslim countries in 2005.
- India ranked third for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst South Asia in 2005.
- All of the top 2 countries by number of known terrorist organizations present are Failed states’ .
- Pakistan ranked first for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst Emerging markets in 2005.
- Lebanon ranked first for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst Middle Eastern and North Africa in 2005.
- All of the top 2 countries by number of known terrorist organizations present are Religious.
- Sri Lanka ranked 6th last for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst South and Central Asia in 2005.
- China ranked 4th last for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst Non-religious countries in 2005.
- Russia ranked first for number of known terrorist organizations present amongst Former Soviet republics in 2005.