×
Suriname

Suriname Poverty and inequality Stats

Definitions

  • Causes of poverty > Education: Percentage education counts for in the country's total Multidimensional Poverty Index (UN). For instance, education is only 31% of Senegal's poverty issues, while the remaining 69% is for living standards and health. Cross country comparisons based off these numbers aren't an accurate telling of how poor education is between countries, but rather how much of an issue poor education is in each country.
  • Causes of poverty > Health: Percentage health counts for in the country's total Multidimensional Poverty Index (UN). For instance, health is 40% of Senegal's poverty issues, while the remaining 60% is for living standards and education. Cross country comparisons based off these numbers aren't an accurate telling of how bad health issues are between countries, but rather how much of an issue health concerns are in each country.
  • Causes of poverty > Living Standards: Percentage living standards count for in the country's total Multidimensional Poverty Index (UN). For instance, poor living standards are only 27% of Senegal's poverty issues, while the remaining 73% is for health and education. Cross country comparisons based off these numbers aren't an accurate telling of how poor living standards are between countries, but rather how much of an issue poor living standards are in each country.
  • Inequality adjusted income index: Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index.
  • Multidimensional poverty index: Multidimensional Poverty Index.
  • Poorest 20%'s share in national income or consumption: Percentage of country's total income or consumption that belongs to the poorest 20% of its citizens.
  • Poorest's share in national income or consumption: Percentage of country's total income or consumption that belongs to the poorest 5% of its citizens.
  • Population below $1 (PPP) per day: Percentage of population that lives on less than the equivalent of 1 USD per day.
  • Population in multidimensional poverty > Proportion: Multidimensional Poverty Index.
  • Population in severe poverty: Multidimensional Poverty Index.
  • Population vulnerable to poverty > Proportion: Multidimensional Poverty Index.
STAT AMOUNT DATE RANK
Causes of poverty > Education 36.1% 2006 10th out of 31
Causes of poverty > Health 18.8% 2006 28th out of 31
Causes of poverty > Living Standards 45.1% 2006 6th out of 31
Inequality adjusted income index 0.426 2012 77th out of 132
Multidimensional poverty index 0.039 2006 17th out of 31
Poorest 20%'s share in national income or consumption 3.18% 1999 24th out of 33
Poorest's share in national income or consumption 3.18% 1999 24th out of 33
Population below $1 (PPP) per day $15.54% 1999 15th out of 30
Population in multidimensional poverty > Proportion 8.2% 2006 17th out of 31
Population in severe poverty 3.3% 2006 16th out of 31
Population vulnerable to poverty > Proportion 6.7% 2006 25th out of 31

Citation

NationMaster

Suriname Economy > Poverty and inequality Profiles (Subcategories)

Causes of poverty 3