- Airports: Total number of airports. Runways must be useable, but may be unpaved. May not have facilities for refuelling, maintenance, or air traffic control.
- Airports > Per capita: Total number of airports. Runways must be useable, but may be unpaved. May not have facilities for refuelling, maintenance, or air traffic control. Per capita figures expressed per 1 million population.
- Airports > With paved runways > Total: Total number of airports with paved runways (concrete or asphalt surfaces)
- Highways > Paved: total length of the paved parts of the highway system
- Highways > Total: total length of the highway system
- Merchant marine > Ships by type: Merchant marine may be defined as all ships engaged in the carriage of goods; or all commercial vessels (as opposed to all non-military ships), which excludes tugs, fishing vessels, offshore oil rigs, etc.; or a grouping of merchant ships by nationality o
- Merchant marine > Total: 1000 GRT or over
- Merchant marine > Total > Dwt: Dwt=Deadweight tonnage, a measure of the capacity of a cargo ship
- Pipelines: The lengths and types of pipelines for transporting products like natural gas, crude oil, or petroleum products
- Ports and harbors: The major ports and harbors selected on the basis of overall importance to each country. This is determined by evaluating a number of factors (e.g., dollar value of goods handled, gross tonnage, facilities, and military significance).
- Ports and terminals: This entry lists major ports and terminals primarily on the basis of the amount of cargo tonnage shipped through the facilities on an annual basis. In some instances, the number of containers handled or ship visits were also considered.
- Road network length > Km: Length of road network in kilometers in European Union countries.
- Road sector gasoline fuel > Consumption > Kt of oil equivalent: Gasoline is light hydrocarbon oil use in internal combustion engine such as motor vehicles, excluding aircraft."
- Roadways > Paved: This entry is derived from Transport > Roadways, which gives the total length of the road network and includes the length of the paved and unpaved portions.
- Roadways > Total: This entry gives the total length of the road network and includes the length of the paved and unpaved portions.
SOURCES: CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 28 March 2011; All CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 18 December 2008; International Road Federation, World Road Statistics and electronic files, except where noted, and International Energy Agency (IEA Statistics \xA9 OECD/IEA, http://www.iea.org/stats/index.asp).; CIA World Factbooks 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013