DEFINITION: This entry includes a definition of literacy and Census Bureau percentages for the total population, males, and females. There are no universal definitions and standards of literacy. Unless otherwise specified, all rates are based on the most common definition - the ability to read and write at a specified age. Detailing the standards that individual countries use to assess the ability to read and write is beyond the scope of our source. Information on literacy, while not a perfect measure of educational results, is probably the most easily available and valid for international comparisons.
Interesting observations about Education > Literacy > Female
- All of the top 2 countries by literacy > female are Christian.
- All of the top 2 countries by literacy > female are European.
- 9 of the top 10 countries by literacy > female are Cold countries'.
- All of the top 2 countries by literacy > female are Landlocked.
- All of the top 2 countries by literacy > female are Catholic.
- Afghanistan has ranked last for literacy > female since 1999.
- Barbados has ranked in the top 2 for literacy > female since 1995.
- 5 of the top 11 countries by literacy > female are Tourist destination.
- Slovakia has ranked in the top 3 for literacy > female since 2001.
- Estonia has ranked in the top 3 for literacy > female since 2000.
- Portugal ranked last for literacy > female amongst Southern Europe in 2003.