DEFINITION: Hospital beds include inpatient beds available in public, private, general, and specialized hospitals and rehabilitation centers. In most cases beds for both acute and chronic care are included.
|1||Azerbaijan||8.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|2||Kazakhstan||7.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|3||Turkmenistan||7.11 per 1,000 people||1997|
|4||Tajikistan||6.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|5||Indonesia||6 per 1,000 people||1998|
|6||Uzbekistan||5.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|7||Kyrgyzstan||5.3 per 1,000 people||2004|
|8||Libya||3.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|9||Albania||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|10||Lebanon||3 per 1,000 people||2001|
|11||Bahrain||2.8 per 1,000 people||2003|
|12||Comoros||2.76 per 1,000 people||1990|
|=13||Turkey||2.6 per 1,000 people||2005|
|=13||Brunei||2.6 per 1,000 people||2000|
|15||Qatar||2.4 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=16||Egypt||2.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=16||United Arab Emirates||2.2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=16||Kuwait||2.2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=16||Saudi Arabia||2.2 per 1,000 people||2001|
|20||Algeria||2.1 per 1,000 people||1998|
|21||Oman||2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|22||Malaysia||1.9 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=23||Jordan||1.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=23||Tunisia||1.7 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=23||Maldives||1.7 per 1,000 people||2000|
|26||Nigeria||1.67 per 1,000 people||1990|
|=27||Iran||1.6 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=27||Djibouti||1.6 per 1,000 people||2000|
|29||Syria||1.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|30||Burkina Faso||1.42 per 1,000 people||1996|
|31||Iraq||1.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|32||Sierra Leone||1.21 per 1,000 people||1980|
|33||Morocco||0.8 per 1,000 people||2002|
|34||Chad||0.72 per 1,000 people||1991|
|=35||Pakistan||0.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=35||Sudan||0.7 per 1,000 people||2002|
|37||Mauritania||0.67 per 1,000 people||1990|
|38||The Gambia||0.61 per 1,000 people||1990|
|39||Yemen||0.6 per 1,000 people||2001|
|40||Guinea||0.55 per 1,000 people||1990|
|=41||Afghanistan||0.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=41||Senegal||0.4 per 1,000 people||1998|
|=41||Somalia||0.4 per 1,000 people||1997|
|44||Bangladesh||0.3 per 1,000 people||1999|
|45||Mali||0.24 per 1,000 people||1998|
|46||Niger||0.12 per 1,000 people||1998|
Interesting observations about Health > Hospital beds > Per 1,000 people
- 11 of the top 15 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are European.
- 12 of the top 16 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Japan has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1993.
- Monaco has had the highest hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1992.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1997.
- Russia has ranked in the top 3 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1999.
- 2 of the top 5 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are East Asian and Pacific.
- China ranked second last for hospital beds > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2005.
- Iceland has ranked in the top 7 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1970.
- 7 of the top 18 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are NATO.