DEFINITION: Hospital beds include inpatient beds available in public, private, general, and specialized hospitals and rehabilitation centers. In most cases beds for both acute and chronic care are included.
|1||Barbados||7.56 per 1,000 people||1996|
|2||Bermuda||6.3 per 1,000 people||1996|
|3||Grenada||5.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|4||Saint Kitts and Nevis||5.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|5||Cuba||4.9 per 1,000 people||2003|
|6||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||4.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|7||Argentina||4.1 per 1,000 people||2000|
|8||Dominica||3.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|9||Suriname||3.6 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=10||The Bahamas||3.4 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=10||Trinidad and Tobago||3.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|12||Saint Lucia||3.2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|13||Cayman Islands||3 per 1,000 people||1990|
|14||Guyana||2.9 per 1,000 people||2001|
|15||Brazil||2.7 per 1,000 people||2002|
|16||Chile||2.6 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=17||Antigua and Barbuda||2.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=17||Panama||2.5 per 1,000 people||2002|
|19||Dominican Republic||2.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|20||Uruguay||1.9 per 1,000 people||2003|
|21||El Salvador||1.65 per 1,000 people||1996|
|22||Ecuador||1.5 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=23||Jamaica||1.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=23||Costa Rica||1.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=23||Peru||1.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|26||Belize||1.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|27||Paraguay||1.2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|28||Colombia||1.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=29||Mexico||1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=29||Bolivia||1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=29||Honduras||1 per 1,000 people||2002|
|32||Nicaragua||0.9 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=33||Venezuela||0.8 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=33||Haiti||0.8 per 1,000 people||2000|
|35||Guatemala||0.5 per 1,000 people||2002|
Interesting observations about Health > Hospital beds > Per 1,000 people
- 11 of the top 15 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are European.
- 12 of the top 16 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Japan has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1993.
- Monaco has had the highest hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1992.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1997.
- Russia has ranked in the top 3 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1999.
- 2 of the top 5 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are East Asian and Pacific.
- China ranked second last for hospital beds > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2005.
- Iceland has ranked in the top 7 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1970.
- 7 of the top 18 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are NATO.