DEFINITION: Most scores are based on responses to the following question: "All things considered, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with your life-as-a-whole now? 1 dissatisfied to10 satisfied" (item code O-SLW/c/sq/n/10/a). Scores of ten nations are based on responses to a somewhat different question: "Suppose the top of the ladder represents the best possible life for you and the bottom of the ladder the worst possible life. Where on this ladder do you feel you personally stand at the present time?" The response was rated on a ladder scale ranging from 0 to 10 (item code O-BW/c/sq/l/11/c). We transformed the scores using the information of nations in which both this item and the above question on life-satisfaction had been used in about the same years.
Interesting observations about Lifestyle > Life satisfaction
- Switzerland ranked first for life satisfaction amongst Europe in 2004.
- Denmark ranked first for life satisfaction amongst European Union in 2004.
- Canada ranked first for life satisfaction amongst Group of 7 countries (G7) in 2004.
- Brazil ranked first for life satisfaction amongst Emerging markets in 2004.
- Iceland ranked second for life satisfaction amongst NATO countries in 2004.
- Malta ranked first for life satisfaction amongst Eurozone in 2004.
- Japan ranked 5th last for life satisfaction amongst High income OECD countries in 2004.
- All of the top 7 countries by life satisfaction are Christian.
- Slovenia ranked first for life satisfaction amongst Eastern Europe in 2004.
- All of the top 3 countries by life satisfaction are Tourist destination.