DEFINITION: Physicians are defined as graduates of any facility or school of medicine who are working in the country in any medical field (practice, teaching, research).
|1||Greece||4.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|2||Italy||4.2 per 1,000 people||2004|
|3||Belgium||3.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|4||Israel||3.82 per 1,000 people||2003|
|5||Iceland||3.62 per 1,000 people||2004|
|6||Switzerland||3.6 per 1,000 people||2002|
|7||Czech Republic||3.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=8||Germany||3.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=8||Austria||3.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|10||France||3.37 per 1,000 people||2004|
|=11||Portugal||3.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=11||Sweden||3.3 per 1,000 people||2002|
|13||Spain||3.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|14||Estonia||3.16 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=15||Slovakia||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=15||Norway||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=15||Netherlands||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|18||Denmark||2.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|19||Ireland||2.79 per 1,000 people||2004|
|20||Luxembourg||2.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|21||Finland||2.6 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=22||Poland||2.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=22||Australia||2.5 per 1,000 people||2002|
|24||United States||2.3 per 1,000 people||2002|
|25||Slovenia||2.25 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=26||United Kingdom||2.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=26||New Zealand||2.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|28||Canada||2.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|29||Japan||2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|30||South Korea||1.6 per 1,000 people||2003|
|31||Chile||1.09 per 1,000 people||2003|
Interesting observations about Health > Physicians > Per 1,000 people
- 32 of the top 41 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are European.
- 28 of the top 49 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Cuba has ranked in the top 2 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 1995.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 3 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 1996.
- Italy has ranked in the top 3 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 2001.
- 18 of the top 40 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are NATO.
- Azerbaijan ranked first for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2003.
- Russia ranked first for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Emerging markets in 2003.
- Georgia has ranked in the top 4 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 2000.
- Turkey ranked last for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Potential Future EU Members in 2005.