DEFINITION: Hospital beds include inpatient beds available in public, private, general, and specialized hospitals and rehabilitation centers. In most cases beds for both acute and chronic care are included.
|1||Gabon||3.19 per 1,000 people||1990|
|2||Lebanon||3 per 1,000 people||2001|
|3||Cameroon||2.55 per 1,000 people||1990|
|4||Vietnam||2.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|5||Algeria||2.1 per 1,000 people||1998|
|6||Tunisia||1.7 per 1,000 people||2002|
|7||Djibouti||1.6 per 1,000 people||2000|
|8||Togo||1.51 per 1,000 people||1990|
|9||Syria||1.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|10||Burkina Faso||1.42 per 1,000 people||1996|
|11||Laos||1.2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=12||Central African Republic||0.87 per 1,000 people||1990|
|=12||Mozambique||0.87 per 1,000 people||1990|
|14||Cote d'Ivoire||0.81 per 1,000 people||1990|
|=15||Morocco||0.8 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=15||Haiti||0.8 per 1,000 people||2000|
|17||Chad||0.72 per 1,000 people||1991|
|18||Mauritania||0.67 per 1,000 people||1990|
|19||Cambodia||0.6 per 1,000 people||2004|
|20||Guinea||0.55 per 1,000 people||1990|
|21||Madagascar||0.42 per 1,000 people||2002|
|22||Senegal||0.4 per 1,000 people||1998|
|23||Mali||0.24 per 1,000 people||1998|
|24||Benin||0.23 per 1,000 people||1994|
|25||Niger||0.12 per 1,000 people||1998|
Interesting observations about Health > Hospital beds > Per 1,000 people
- 11 of the top 15 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are European.
- 12 of the top 16 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Japan has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1993.
- Monaco has had the highest hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1992.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1997.
- Russia has ranked in the top 3 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1999.
- 2 of the top 5 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are East Asian and Pacific.
- China ranked second last for hospital beds > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2005.
- Iceland has ranked in the top 7 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1970.
- 7 of the top 18 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are NATO.