DEFINITION: Hospital beds include inpatient beds available in public, private, general, and specialized hospitals and rehabilitation centers. In most cases beds for both acute and chronic care are included.
|1||Germany||8.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|2||Czech Republic||8.8 per 1,000 people||2003|
|3||Lithuania||8.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|4||Austria||8.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=5||Latvia||7.8 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=5||Hungary||7.8 per 1,000 people||2003|
|7||France||7.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=8||Finland||7.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=8||Slovakia||7.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|10||Belgium||6.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|11||Romania||6.6 per 1,000 people||2003|
|12||Bulgaria||6.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=13||Luxembourg||6 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=13||Estonia||6 per 1,000 people||2002|
|15||Poland||5.6 per 1,000 people||2002|
|16||Croatia||5.5 per 1,000 people||2004|
|17||Slovenia||5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|18||Malta||4.8 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=19||Netherlands||4.7 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=19||Greece||4.7 per 1,000 people||2000|
|=21||Italy||4.4 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=21||Cyprus||4.4 per 1,000 people||2002|
|23||Ireland||4.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|24||United Kingdom||4.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|25||Denmark||4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|26||Spain||3.8 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=27||Portugal||3.6 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=27||Sweden||3.6 per 1,000 people||2000|
Interesting observations about Health > Hospital beds > Per 1,000 people
- 11 of the top 15 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are European.
- 12 of the top 16 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Japan has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1993.
- Monaco has had the highest hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1992.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 2 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1997.
- Russia has ranked in the top 3 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1999.
- 2 of the top 5 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are East Asian and Pacific.
- China ranked second last for hospital beds > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2005.
- Iceland has ranked in the top 7 for hospital beds > per 1,000 people since 1970.
- 7 of the top 18 countries by hospital beds > per 1,000 people are NATO.