DEFINITION: International inbound tourists (overnight visitors) are the number of tourists who travel to a country other than that in which they have their usual residence, but outside their usual environment, for a period not exceeding 12 months and whose main purpose in visiting is other than an activity remunerated from within the country visited. When data on number of tourists are not available, the number of visitors, which includes tourists, same-day visitors, cruise passengers, and crew members, is shown instead. Sources and collection methods for arrivals differ across countries. In some cases data are from border statistics (police, immigration, and the like) and supplemented by border surveys. In other cases data are from tourism accommodation establishments. For some countries number of arrivals is limited to arrivals by air and for others to arrivals staying in hotels. Some countries include arrivals of nationals residing abroad while others do not. Caution should thus be used in comparing arrivals across countries. The data on inbound tourists refer to the number of arrivals, not to the number of people traveling. Thus a person who makes several trips to a country during a given period is counted each time as a new arrival." Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population.
|1||Aruba||8,144.49 per 1,000 people||2008|
|2||Palau||3,934.95 per 1,000 people||2008|
|3||Austria||2,673.2 per 1,000 people||2008|
|4||San Marino||2,329.9 per 1,000 people||2007|
|5||Croatia||2,096.16 per 1,000 people||2008|
|6||Seychelles||1,933.2 per 1,000 people||2008|
|7||Ireland||1,931.13 per 1,000 people||2008|
|8||Luxembourg||1,808.62 per 1,000 people||2008|
|9||Liechtenstein||1,681.26 per 1,000 people||2008|
|10||Spain||1,415.52 per 1,000 people||2008|
|11||France||1,276.53 per 1,000 people||2006|
|12||Portugal||1,157.68 per 1,000 people||2007|
|13||Dominica||1,119 per 1,000 people||2007|
|14||Italy||734.95 per 1,000 people||2008|
|15||Cape Verde||667.45 per 1,000 people||2008|
|16||Costa Rica||497.87 per 1,000 people||2008|
|17||Lithuania||451.87 per 1,000 people||2008|
|18||Panama||390.67 per 1,000 people||2008|
|19||Poland||336.62 per 1,000 people||2008|
|20||Slovakia||323.9 per 1,000 people||2008|
|21||Mexico||205.87 per 1,000 people||2008|
|22||Cuba||202.73 per 1,000 people||2008|
|23||Chile||164.03 per 1,000 people||2008|
|24||Guatemala||131.9 per 1,000 people||2008|
|25||Argentina||115.24 per 1,000 people||2008|
|26||Ecuador||72.16 per 1,000 people||2008|
|27||Peru||70.53 per 1,000 people||2008|
|28||Bolivia||64.23 per 1,000 people||2008|
|29||Paraguay||62.65 per 1,000 people||2008|
|30||Haiti||34.06 per 1,000 people||2008|
|31||Philippines||32.68 per 1,000 people||2008|
|32||Venezuela||28.2 per 1,000 people||2008|
|33||Colombia||27.15 per 1,000 people||2008|
|34||Brazil||25.72 per 1,000 people||2008|
|35||Burundi||25.66 per 1,000 people||2006|
|36||Cote d'Ivoire||18.81 per 1,000 people||1998|
|37||Eritrea||16.51 per 1,000 people||2007|
Interesting observations about Economy > Tourist arrivals > Per capita
- Monaco ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Christian countries in 2008.
- Bahrain ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Hot countries in 2007.
- Iceland ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Cold countries in 2008.
- Estonia ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Emerging markets in 2008.
- Malta ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst European Union in 2008.
- Turks and Caicos Islands ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita globally in 2007.
- Austria ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Landlocked countries in 2008.
- Aruba ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Latin America and Caribbean in 2008.
- Uruguay ranked first for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Former Spanish colonies in 2008.
- United States ranked second last for tourist arrivals > per capita amongst Group of 7 countries (G7) in 2008.