DEFINITION: Physicians are defined as graduates of any facility or school of medicine who are working in the country in any medical field (practice, teaching, research).
|1||Saint Lucia||5.17 per 1,000 people||1999|
|2||Greece||4.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|3||Italy||4.2 per 1,000 people||2004|
|4||Belgium||3.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|5||Israel||3.82 per 1,000 people||2003|
|6||Iceland||3.62 per 1,000 people||2004|
|=7||Germany||3.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=7||Austria||3.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|9||France||3.37 per 1,000 people||2004|
|10||Portugal||3.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|11||Lebanon||3.25 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=12||Spain||3.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=12||Hungary||3.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|14||Malta||3.18 per 1,000 people||2003|
|15||Netherlands||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|16||Ireland||2.79 per 1,000 people||2004|
|17||Cyprus||2.34 per 1,000 people||2002|
|18||United States||2.3 per 1,000 people||2002|
|19||United Kingdom||2.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|20||Canada||2.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|21||Jordan||2.03 per 1,000 people||2004|
|22||Japan||2 per 1,000 people||2002|
|23||Puerto Rico||1.75 per 1,000 people||1995|
|24||Seychelles||1.51 per 1,000 people||2004|
|25||Singapore||1.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|26||Barbados||1.21 per 1,000 people||1999|
|27||Saint Kitts and Nevis||1.19 per 1,000 people||1997|
|28||Belize||1.05 per 1,000 people||2000|
|29||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||0.87 per 1,000 people||1997|
|30||Jamaica||0.85 per 1,000 people||2003|
|31||Sri Lanka||0.55 per 1,000 people||2004|
|32||Egypt||0.54 per 1,000 people||2003|
|33||Morocco||0.51 per 1,000 people||2004|
|=34||Grenada||0.5 per 1,000 people||1997|
|=34||Dominica||0.5 per 1,000 people||1997|
|=36||Sao Tome and Principe||0.49 per 1,000 people||2004|
|=36||Cape Verde||0.49 per 1,000 people||2004|
|38||Sudan||0.22 per 1,000 people||2004|
|39||Antigua and Barbuda||0.17 per 1,000 people||1999|
|40||Zimbabwe||0.16 per 1,000 people||2004|
|41||Eritrea||0.05 per 1,000 people||2004|
|42||Malawi||0.02 per 1,000 people||2004|
Interesting observations about Health > Physicians > Per 1,000 people
- 32 of the top 41 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are European.
- 28 of the top 49 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Cuba has ranked in the top 2 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 1995.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 3 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 1996.
- Italy has ranked in the top 3 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 2001.
- 18 of the top 40 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are NATO.
- Azerbaijan ranked first for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2003.
- Russia ranked first for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Emerging markets in 2003.
- Georgia has ranked in the top 4 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 2000.
- Turkey ranked last for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Potential Future EU Members in 2005.