DEFINITION: Physicians are defined as graduates of any facility or school of medicine who are working in the country in any medical field (practice, teaching, research).
|1||Greece||4.4 per 1,000 people||2001|
|2||Italy||4.2 per 1,000 people||2004|
|3||Lithuania||3.97 per 1,000 people||2003|
|4||Belgium||3.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|5||Bulgaria||3.56 per 1,000 people||2003|
|6||Czech Republic||3.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=7||Austria||3.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=7||Germany||3.4 per 1,000 people||2003|
|9||France||3.37 per 1,000 people||2004|
|=10||Portugal||3.3 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=10||Sweden||3.3 per 1,000 people||2002|
|=12||Hungary||3.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=12||Spain||3.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|14||Malta||3.18 per 1,000 people||2003|
|15||Estonia||3.16 per 1,000 people||2001|
|=16||Netherlands||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|=16||Slovakia||3.1 per 1,000 people||2003|
|18||Latvia||3.01 per 1,000 people||2003|
|19||Denmark||2.9 per 1,000 people||2002|
|20||Ireland||2.79 per 1,000 people||2004|
|21||Luxembourg||2.7 per 1,000 people||2003|
|22||Finland||2.6 per 1,000 people||2003|
|23||Poland||2.5 per 1,000 people||2003|
|24||Croatia||2.4 per 1,000 people||2004|
|25||Cyprus||2.34 per 1,000 people||2002|
|26||Slovenia||2.25 per 1,000 people||2002|
|27||United Kingdom||2.2 per 1,000 people||2003|
|28||Romania||1.9 per 1,000 people||2003|
Interesting observations about Health > Physicians > Per 1,000 people
- 32 of the top 41 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are European.
- 28 of the top 49 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are Cold countries'.
- Cuba has ranked in the top 2 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 1995.
- Belarus has ranked in the top 3 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 1996.
- Italy has ranked in the top 3 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 2001.
- 18 of the top 40 countries by physicians > per 1,000 people are NATO.
- Azerbaijan ranked first for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Non-religious countries in 2003.
- Russia ranked first for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Emerging markets in 2003.
- Georgia has ranked in the top 4 for physicians > per 1,000 people since 2000.
- Turkey ranked last for physicians > per 1,000 people amongst Potential Future EU Members in 2005.